Ebook price increase is opening for libraries

Table 1 below gives and average and median prices of 43 fiction bestsellers listed in Amazon's Kindle store on February 21, 2010.
  • Table 1 shows a difference in average price of Kindle and Nook ebooks. However, Kindle and Nook ebooks are the same price for 90.8% of their shared titles, most frequent price is $9.99. Nook prices are 40% to 50% higher on three of the four titles with different prices.
  • The predicted rise to $14.99 makes ebooks 49.8% higher than the average Amazon's paperback discount price. A rise to $16 as reported in the quotes below is 64% higher than the average paperback discount price.
Table 1Kindle ebook priceNook ebook priceHardback list priceAmazon's hardback discount priceAmazon's paperback discount price
Average$8.91$9.37 $26.37$16.07$10.01
  • During February 2010, Nook owners began angrily reporting on Barnes and Noble's Nook forum that Nook prices are rising. Here are some quotes.
    • "Have only had my nook a few days and will probably return it. Prices for books I want are $16 through B&N, $9 on Amazon for Kindle. What's going on??"
    • "Sue Grafton's "U is for Undertow" is now $13.97 at B&N and still $9.99 at Amazon."
    • "I know we won't be buying Ebooks at these higher prices. I'm just going to keep looking for interesting free Ebooks and checking out authors I might not have otherwise. Our library also offers Overdrive so we'll be looking into that, too."
    • "I noticed prices going up on my ebook wish list as well. Annoying? yes. Suprising? no. .... But then again, 3 out of the last 4 books I've read? I have, completely legally, not paid a single, solitary dime for. Because I have a library card (and I happen to have a library system that has a robust ebook library). So I look at the price I need to pay for books that I can't get from the library (or books that I don't want to take the time to wait on the wait list for) as being amortized over the cost of all books that I read."
  • Kansas' "Audiobooks, Music and More" offers 15,000 ebooks. These ebooks can be downloaded into Sony Readers and Nooks, but not Kindles. Here are instructions

1 comment:

  1. Price is not the only advantage that the Amazon Kindle has. An ebook collection with more than twice the number of titles as Barnes and Noble, Sony Reader Store, or OverDrive is also important for readers. For more information see: Survey of Kindle, Nook, iPad, Sony and OverDrive eBook Store Collection Size

    ReplyDelete